WASHINGTON, Sept. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Right now the Committee for Financial Growth of The Convention Board (CED) launched its newest options temporary, which analyzes the numerous adjustments to in-person voting that COVID-19 requires, together with the necessity for “no-excuse” absentee voting. 2020 Election: Achieving a Safe, Accessible, and Credible Election During COVID-19 additionally addresses the difficulty of fraud and underscores that making certain a reputable election is a shared, bipartisan duty. The options temporary outlines particular steps election officers and enterprise leaders alike can take to make sure the protection, equity, and integrity of US elections.
“Conducting elections throughout this disaster entails two distinct challenges: redesigning procedures to make voting secure throughout a pandemic, and making certain that Individuals consider the election was performed pretty and precisely, reflecting the desire of the voters,” stated Lori Esposito Murray, President of CED. “Each election officers and enterprise leaders have necessary roles to play in reaching these objectives.”
The new brief calls on election officers to:
- Choose applicable voting websites which have satisfactory spacing and air flow to make sure secure in-person voting. Some polling places used previously is not going to be secure to be used throughout a pandemic. Election officers ought to search websites which can be massive sufficient to accommodate each a straightforward movement of individuals and air, whereas additionally assembly preexisting accessibility wants and making certain that altering polling places doesn’t drawback some communities of voters.
- Provide applicable staffing, gear, and coaching. Even in regular years, recruiting a ample variety of ballot employees (who’re sometimes aged) is troublesome; doing so throughout a pandemic would require a big and coordinated effort. There will even must be clear efforts to make sure ballot employees’ security, together with making certain that they’ve an satisfactory provide of private protecting gear (PPE).
- Supply no less than 10 days of early voting, together with some weekend and night hours, to unfold out voter site visitors. Increasing the vary of voting days will cut back crowding at fashionable instances on Election Day, notably benefiting voters with work or caregiving duties that constrain versatile scheduling. It additionally permits early detection and correction of registration errors or different issues earlier than the push of Election Day.
- Supply “no-excuse” absentee voting for all, supported by procedures designed to make sure its integrity and success, reminiscent of voters with the ability to register and request absentee ballots with out in-person visits to election places of work or notaries, together with efforts to supply postage-paid functions for absentee ballots to all registered voters. States also needs to allow early processing or counting of ballots obtained previous to Election Day, present video-monitored absentee-ballot drop bins with tight chain-of-custody procedures, and design absentee ballots to reduce errors reminiscent of lacking or misplaced signatures.
The brief additionally outlines actions enterprise leaders can take to help within the election effort – and in doing so shield their workers, prospects, and communities. They embrace:
- Communicating new voting guidelines, choices, and procedures to workers and prospects, together with offering reminders to workers about voting early. Enterprise leaders are sometimes trusted voices of their communities and may play an necessary civic position as a supply of dependable, nonpartisan info.
- Immediately aiding election officers by donating wanted infrastructure, technological help, provides, and companies. The altering bodily necessities in polling locations will doubtless drive new or elevated demand for gadgets reminiscent of PPE, Plexiglass dividers, and printing companies – making the assistance of keen companies probably crucial.
- Making it simpler or extra reasonably priced for workers to function ballot employees. Firms can provide a full day of paid depart for workers who will work at polls or, for firms which can not afford that, unpaid depart.
- Providing paid depart to facilitate secure voting by lowering crowds on the polls. This could embrace voting sooner than Election Day and will cowl journey to and from safe drop bins, election places of work, or different places the place absentee ballots will be submitted.
The Committee for Financial Growth is the Public Coverage Middle of The Convention Board that delivers well- researched evaluation, and non-partisan, reasoned options within the nation’s curiosity. www.ced.org
About The Convention Board
The Convention Board is the member-driven assume tank that delivers trusted insights for what’s forward. Based in 1916, we’re a non-partisan, not-for-profit entity holding 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt standing in the USA. www.conference-board.org
SOURCE Committee for Financial Growth of The Convention Board (CED)