November 23, 2020
Findings from a survey by immersive leisure expertise specialist Dolby Laboratories counsel that customers are looking for out higher audiovisual experiences and new methods of interacting with family and friends, Based on Dolby, it stays clear that customers proceed to need, demand, and are keen to spend extra on enhanced experiences, now greater than ever.
“Regardless of the entire challenges of this previous yr, this examine has illustrated the facility of leisure in bringing us along with these which are most vital to us,” stated John Couling, SVP Business Partnerships at Dolby Laboratories. “We take nice delight in creating extra immersive experiences by our applied sciences and see the numerous progress of Dolby Imaginative and prescient and Dolby Atmos as proof that customers are looking for these experiences as effectively.”
The survey, in partnership with Wakefield Analysis, polled 5,000 respondents from China, France, India, and the US – analyzing consumption behaviour, machine shopping for selections, and new habits being shaped within the wake of this unprecedented yr. With extra time than ever earlier than to observe and have interaction with leisure, shoppers are accelerating their curiosity in immersive content material and new experiences.
One factor that continues to be clear throughout this yr, says Dolby is the significance of human connection. Given the restrictions of in-person experiences, society has shifted to new, virtual-first methods of connecting with family and friends when watching leisure.
Eighty-six per cent of world respondents related with household and buddies nearly whereas having fun with leisure collectively during the last six months. This included actions akin to speaking on the telephone whereas watching the identical content material (45 per cent of world respondents), texting whereas watching the identical content material (44 per cent), video chatting whereas watching the identical content material (43 per cent), in addition to participating in dwell chats whereas watching streaming movies (41 per cent).
For a major majority of individuals, inside the final six months was the primary time they’ve ever participated in digital shared experiences whereas having fun with leisure – with 87 per cent of respondents noting this was their first time.
Led by Gen Z and Millennials, shoppers are spending greater than ever on leisure, which is fuelled by the need for human connection. Individuals are additionally keen to spend extra on premium subscriptions as a way to obtain a greater high quality expertise.
Client spending on content material has elevated within the final six months and is led by Gen Z and Millennials globally, with Millennials within the US rising spending by a median of 38 per cent.
Most international shoppers have elevated how a lot they spent on content material because the begin of the yr, together with 55 per cent in France, 72 per cent within the US, 94 per cent in China, and 97 per cent in India.
With this improve in spending, shoppers are keen to pay extra for a premium subscription to obtain enhanced audiovisual experiences with 77 per cent of complete respondents indicating they’d pay extra for higher image or sound high quality as a result of it impacts how they join with content material.
In truth, 64 per cent of respondents said that they had upgraded no less than one streaming service to a premium subscription inside the previous six months.
Client funding in higher high quality experiences doesn’t cease at content material, with respondents in all nations indicating that they plan to buy new gadgets within the subsequent six months to improve their leisure viewing expertise. Whereas plans to improve conventional house leisure gadgets stay sturdy, shoppers are additionally planning to improve their cell viewing expertise which is fuelled by a majority of shoppers who used their smartphone, pill, or PC as their main machine for consuming leisure over the previous few months.
- 82 per cent of respondents plan to buy a brand new machine to improve their leisure viewing expertise within the subsequent six months.
- 64 per cent plan to buy a tool particularly to improve their front room leisure expertise (together with a brand new TV, soundbar, house theatre audio system, receiver, or streaming machine).
- Millennials are the most definitely to make a front room improve at 73 per cent, in comparison with 68 per cent of Gen Xers, 58 per cent of Gen Zers, and 50 per cent of Boomers.
- Greater than 4 in 5 (81 per cent) of those that have paid to improve their streaming providers to premium additionally plan to enhance their front room leisure expertise.
- Whereas we’ve got extra gadgets than ever, tv nonetheless performs an enormous position – notably with older generations. That is true in each market, however notably within the US, the place 65 per cent of Boomers say that tv is their main leisure machine; 52 per cent of French Boomers say the identical.
- 60 per cent of complete respondents used their smartphone, pill, or PC as their main machine for leisure over the previous six months and 44 per cent of complete respondents indicated that they plan to improve their cell machine within the subsequent six months to enhance their viewing expertise.
Based on Dolby, the survey exhibits that the drive for higher experiences doesn’t cease at gadgets. Content material adoption can also be rising quickly, finishing the ecosystem that it has been constructing by international partnerships with main streaming providers that proceed to launch their prime exhibits and movies in Dolby expertise each month.
“Finally, we anticipate the need for extra human connection to proceed sooner or later and immersive experiences might help fulfil this demand,” added Couling. “Simply as leisure drives cultural dialog, that dialog drives connection throughout the globe, and we’re seeing connections develop stronger daily by elevated leisure experiences.”