What could be mentioned of Rico Nasty’s debut album, “Nightmare Trip,” is it is about time.
There’s been a protracted lead-up to the 16-song set, popping out Friday, Dec. 4. The Orlando, Fla. rapper (actual identify Maria-Cecilia Kelly) has been releasing mixtapes since 2014, when she was in tenth grade, together with a collection of singles in addition to songs within the soundtracks for “The Destiny of the Livid” and HBO’s “Insecure.” She’s additionally made visitor appearances on songs by Doja Cat, Juicy J, ASAP Ferg, Yoshi Flower and others.
She comes into “Nightmare Trip” with a head of steam, too, with attention-getting singles (and movies) akin to “iPhone,” “Personal It” and “Do not Like Me,” the latter that includes Gucci Mane and Don Toliver. The album, which additionally sports activities visitor appearances by Trippie Redd, Amine and ppcocaine, is Nasty’s most full look up to now, nevertheless, and she or he’s prepared for these she’s teased to pack their baggage and are available alongside for the trip…
• Nasty, 23, famous throughout a Zoom convention name that she’s been engaged on “Nightmare Trip” for 2 years — “in all probability the longest factor I’ve ever labored on in my life, in addition to my baby (five-year-son Cameron). It was a journey. Clearly coronavirus tried to spoil all the pieces, time and time once more. I had a launch date final yr November, then a launch date in March…however I overcame all of that and might’t await it to be out, lastly.”
• She has however embraced the pandemic limitations moderately than be annoyed by them. “This has taught me a lot. I’ve overcome so many issues already. Y’know, I shot the video for ‘IPhone’ in my basement and used Zoom to edit it. I used to be on the decision with manufacturing whereas they watched me shoot it to ensure we acquired all of the photographs. You simply do what you need to, y’know?”
• “Nightmare Trip’s” title additionally makes reference to the pandemic and Nasty’s studying to navigate the brand new world order. “It is actually a nightmare that become a trip. I used to be scared, freaking out. I did not understand how I used to be gonna make music with out going out and partying — ‘What am I gonna make music about if there is not any events?!’ Taking that away was, like, (messing) with my confidence. I used to be so afraid…and I overcame it. I discovered a lot happiness with the ability to do (stuff) from the home.”
• Nasty is assured that “Nightmare Trip” exhibits development from her mixtapes and different singles. “For as soon as in my life I really feel like a little bit horny butterfly, like a lady, not like a teenage rapper. I really feel extra snug in my voice, in my pores and skin…That is simply part of getting older. I really feel like after I was in highschool I used to be already rebellious and enjoyable, however I had by no means pushed a automotive, by no means gone to a membership. Whenever you really expertise sure issues and might speak about them and share that (stuff)…I have been taking quite a lot of benefit of that.”
• Nasty appeared in Rihanna’s “Savage X Fenty Present: Quantity Two” earlier this yr by way of Amazon, and she or he says the Bahamian hitmaker is one thing of a profession mannequin. “I like her. I am an enormous fan of her music, however I am unable to sound like Rihanna so I do not even attempt to do this. Some stuff you simply go away to the icons. However after I speak about enterprise and simply being a boss and nonetheless be enjoyable…that is her. I’ve by no means heard anyone say something dangerous about Rihanna. She’s good as…, smells nice. She stays out (of) the way in which. What extra are you able to ask for? She persistently drops…nice merchandise. That is any individual I look as much as. She’s like my large sister in my mind.”