The expansion will be funded with existing capital and philanthropic donations. No federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act, funds will be used on the expansion, Bob Riney, Henry Ford’s president of hospital operations and COO, told reporters on a media call Tuesday afternoon.
“We are embarking on what I know will be the future of medical facilities not just for Macomb County, but also for the state of Michigan and nationally,” Riney said in a press release. “I was here when this hospital became a part of the Henry Ford family, and it has been my privilege to watch it continue to grow, flourish and innovate.”
The project is expected to increase health care jobs in the county by 3.5 percent by 2024, the hospital said in a press release.
The expansion also includes increasing ICU rooms to 60 from 48, a redesigned hospital entrance and an expanded power plant to handle the increased power use. Additional parking will also be added.
Barbara Rossmann, president and CEO of Henry Ford Macomb, said the hospital system has seen an increase in acute care across all of its hospitals in recent years thanks to an aging population, predicating the need for more ICU beds to move those patients away from being treated in ambulatory care.
Barton Malow is the construction firm and AECOM is managing the architectural and engineering design.
The expansion project was announced last year, but at as a $250 million project. It’s unclear why the costs have escalated since the previous announcement.