Lee Well being is in pressing want of convalescent plasma donations to assist refill provide ranges. Below an emergency use authorization (EUA), the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration has made investigational convalescent plasma accessible for the therapy of COVID-19 in hospitalized sufferers as a part of the company’s ongoing efforts to battle COVID-19.
Convalescent plasma refers to blood plasma collected from individuals who have recovered from COVID-19. That plasma is then used to deal with others with superior sickness as a part of the medical trial. The blood donor should have had a optimistic check for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19), be symptom-free for at the very least 14 days, and be in any other case eligible to donate blood.
The process is similar as any routine blood donation. After donation, the blood is processed within the lab to acquire the plasma part. The affected person is transfused with the donor’s convalescent plasma, which incorporates antibodies that will assault the virus and will assist the affected person recuperate extra quickly.
Right here’s how the donation program works at Lee Well being:
- People who’ve beforehand examined optimistic for COVID-19 whose signs have resolved for at the very least 14 days can volunteer to donate blood.
- Donors are screened by medical personnel with questions and assessments to verify they’re applicable to donate blood that shall be processed to make COVID-19 convalescent plasma.
- To volunteer, name 239-343-2332 or e-mail [email protected] (E-mail most well-liked)
- Documented routine blood donation consent is required; types supplied by Lee Well being.
- If potential donors are applicable, an appointment for blood donation is scheduled at a Lee Well being donation website.
All donations collected by Lee Well being keep in our neighborhood and are used completely for Lee Well being sufferers.