!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Talks about leadership change in Himachal Pradesh baseless; I will remain CM till end of the govt’s tenure in 2022: Jai Ram Thakur
Samyukta Kisan Morcha demands immediate enactment of legislation by govt to guarantee remunerative MSP for all farmers
SBI Union and others ask RBI not to permit payment platform by corporates
An employee union of the country’s largest lender SBI in association with a global alliance on Tuesday asked the Reserve Bank not to allow large corporates to set up payment networks as it could lead to compromise on data safety.
RBI nod for Ghosh’s re-appointment as Bandhan Bank MD and CEO for three years
Bandhan Bank has received RBI nod to re-appoint Chandra Shekhar Ghosh as its MD and CEO for three years, lower than the five-year tenure approved by the company’s board in November last year.
Modi’s vaccine policy review a volte-face, may lead to fiscal slippage: Nomura
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s review of the vaccination policy was a “volte-face”, and when coupled with the food scheme extension till November, it may lead to the government miss its budgeted fiscal deficit target, a report by a Japanese brokerage said on Tuesday.
Tamil Nadu CM MK Stalin writes to counterparts in 12 states, urges them to prevail upon Centre to offer moratorium on repayment of loans to MSMEs
Jharkhand govt forms one-member commission to probe death of police sub-inspector Rupa Tirkey
Jharkhand govt forms one-member commission comprising of former chief justice of Jharkhand HC Vinod Kumar Gupta to probe the death of police sub-inspector Rupa Tirkey. The commission will complete its inquiry within six months.
India might have two flag-bearers at Tokyo Olympics, says IOA Chief Batra
In a first, India might have two flag-bearers — one male and one female — at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics to ensure “gender parity”, Indian Olympic Association chief Narinder Batra told on Tuesday.
French President Emmanuel Macron slapped in face on visit to small town
French President Emmanuel Macron was slapped Tuesday in the face by a man during a visit to a small town in southeastern France, an incident that prompted a wide show of support for French politicians from all sides.
Updated vaccine prices for private hospitals
Vaccine prices per dose at private hospitals in India now (inclusive of 5% GST and Rs 150 max service charge):
Covishield: Rs 780
Covaxin: Rs 1,410
Sputnik V: Rs 1,145
External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will pay an official visit to Kenya between June 12 and June 14. He will chair, along with his Kenyan counterpart, the 3rd meeting of the India-Kenya Joint Commission meeting which will review all aspects of the bilateral relationship.
Two Delhi Police personnel have been served show cause notice for making amusement videos for social media while being on duty
The two are posted at Model Town Police Station
UN Security Council recommends incumbent Antonio Guterres to General Assembly for second five year term as UN Secretary General
Monsoon may arrive in Mumbai tomorrow: IMD
The southwest monsoon is likely to set in over Mumbai on Wednesday, a senior official of the India Meteorological Department said.
When Mehul Choksi applied for citizenship, his name didn’t appear in any of the agencies who would able to give an attestation as to whether or not there was a charge against him. We had him under the point that he made a false declaration and moved to rescind his citizenship. He has challenged it in the court.
– Antigua Information Minister Melford Nicholas
Global economy expected to expand 5.6% in 2021, says World Bank
The global economy is expected to expand 5.6 per cent in 2021, the fastest post-recession pace in 80 years, largely on strong rebounds from a few major economies, the World Bank said on Tuesday, noting that despite the recovery, global output will be about two per cent below pre-pandemic projections by the end of this year.
World Bank projects India to grow at 8.3% in 2021
The World Bank on Tuesday projected India’s economy to grow at 8.3 per cent in 2021 and 7.5 per cent in 2022, even as its recovery is being hampered by an unprecedented second wave of the COVID-19, the largest outbreak in the world since the beginning of the deadly pandemic.
CISF to take over security of vaccine manufacturer Bharat Biotech’s campus in Hyderabad from next week, as per officials
Hiring outlook expected to be stable in Q3 2021: Survey
As India continues to maintain the momentum of its economic activities, hiring plans are likely to become stable during the July-September 2021 quarter mainly led by transportation and utilities and the services sector, according to a survey.
India taking all steps to ensure it becomes free of single-use plastic by 2022, said Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar
Assam Cabinet decides to approve simplification of flood damage assessment, repairing of infrastructure
Kannur Member of Parliament K Sudhakaran appointed as Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee chief
“I am very happy to accept this post. I will try to maintain a cordial relationship with all leaders to strengthen the party,” said MP K Sudhakaran.
11 tribals, including five women, arrested as they protest against land survey for parking lot near Statue of Unity in Kevadia village in Gujarat’s Narmada district: Police
Australian PM to call for WTO reform as tensions with China mount
The World Trade Organization must have a binding dispute settlement system to address the growing use of economic coercion, Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison will say on Wednesday, as Canberra moves to win the support of G7 nations in its dispute with China.
Senior BJP MLA, former Karnataka minister CM Udasi dies at private hospital in Bengaluru due to age-related illness, say sources
World number 85 Tamara Zidansek reaches French Open semi-finals
SBI union, others urge RBI to scrap digital payments plan
A union representing India’s largest state-run bank and a global alliance have asked the central bank to bar large companies from setting up payment networks, saying in a letter seen by Reuters on Tuesday that privatisation could compromise data safety.
Fire at Vaishno Devi shrine complex; cash counter damaged
- A fire broke out at Vaishno Devi shrine complex in Jammu Kashmir’s Reasi district on Tuesday, damaging a cash counter, officials said
- No one was injured in the fire, which broke out from the structure adjoining the ‘Bhawan’ (sanctum sanctorum), the officials said
Bombay HC cancels caste certificate of Amravati MP Navneet Rana
General insurance sector may see 7-9% growth in GDPI in FY22: Report
Helped by higher growth in health and motor insurance segments, the general insurance industry is likely to clock a 7-9 per cent growth in gross direct premium income (GDPI) in the financial year 2021-22, ICRA Ratings said in a report.
Thanks to the pandemic, Indians will consume 5% less sugar during 2020-22
Indians will likely consume 5% less sugar in the 2020-22 period as a direct result of demand loss due to the pandemic, industry veterans said Monday. That translates into 2.6 million tonnes of the primary sweetener.
Ministry of Consumer Affairs writes to Delhi Govt chief secretary
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution writes to chief secretary of Delhi Govt for 'resumption of… https://t.co/pxmCrRW8aV
— ANI (@ANI) 1623153350000
4% reservation quota for Divyangjans (persons with disabilities) in govt jobs will be ensured, as per Punjab Social Security, Women and Child Development Minister Aruna Chaudhary
Glitches, technical issues mar new Income tax portal launch
Technical issues marred the first day of the new income tax e-filing portal as several taxpayers were unable to log in or use it without glitches and took to Twitter to express their dismay.
EAM Jaishankar to begin Kuwait visit on June 9
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar will carry a personal letter from Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah when he travels to the oil-rich Gulf nation on Wednesday on a three-day visit to explore ways to further boost bilateral ties.
Chhattisgarh govt will provide free rice to families in below poverty line category from July to November this year.
– CM Bhupesh Baghel
Watchful of situation but confident of long-term growth prospects of FMCG sector: HUL CMD
FMCG major HUL is watchful of the situation after the second wave of the pandemic but is confident of the medium to long-term growth prospects of the sector, according to company Chairman and Managing Director Sanjiv Mehta.
Kerala: Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Court, Kochi sends gangster Ravi Pujari to judicial custody till June 22nd in connection with 2018 Beauty Parlour shooting case
Maharashtra CM meets PM Modi; discusses Maratha quota issue, GST compensation, proposed Metro car shed in Kanjur
Defence Minister Rajnath invites Swedish defence majors to set up manufacturing hubs in India
Global media websites outage
Preliminary reports suggest a technical glitch in a private CDN (Content Delivery Network) causing outage. More details awaited.
Financial Times, New York Times, Bloomberg News websites down
- Multiple websites operated by news outlets including the Finiancial Times, the New York Times and Bloomberg News down across the globe
- Amazon.com Inc’s retail website also seemed to face an outage. Amazon was not immediately available to comment, reported Reuters
Several global media websites face outage worldwide
- Several international media websites were down on Tuesday, including CNN and Le Monde
- Error messages appeared on the websites at around 1000 GMT, reports AFP
Hopeful that Monsoon Session of Parliament will start on schedule in July, said Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi to PTI
Rupee falls 9 paise to close at 72.89 (provisional) against US dollar
Bhosale Committee report on Maratha reservation has recommended formation of State Commission for Backward Classes. But before acting on the report, they met PM. I want to say that meeting PM directly before their own action is premature.
– Ex-Maharashtra CM and LoP Devendra Fadnavis to ANI
Slum dwellers hit by bullet train project move Gujarat HC
- As many as 318 people evicted from a slum colony here to make way for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project have moved the Gujarat High Court seeking a direction to authorities to facilitate their rehabilitation
- The petition came up before a division bench of Chief Justice Vikram Nath and Justice Biren Vaishnav on Monday
Carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere has again peaked last month, reaching historic levels since accurate measurements began 63 years ago.
Free vaccine, food grains to cost Indian government up to Rs 1.45 lakh crore
Iraq plans to go nuclear to resolve crippling power shortages: Media Report
China’s helping hand
- Nepal has resumed its stalled coronavirus vaccination campaign with 1 million doses given by China.
- Nepal had made international pleas for help with a shortage of doses.
- Nepal’s vaccination campaign began in January but was stalled when India suffered a coronavirus surge and banned exports of the AstraZeneca vaccine it produces.
- It had received 1 million AstraZeneca doses donated by India and paid for 2 million more but never received half the shipment.
WTO panel is considering easing protections on COVID-19 vaccines
Worsening tax burden
- The burden of taxation, particularly indirect taxes, on households has worsened lately, says India Ratings and Research.
- This is preventing households from spending more on consumption.
- Unlike corporates who are enjoying rationalisation in income tax, no such move has been introduced for the households who continue paying elevated taxes.
- This could delay consumption recovery.
Chief Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra writes to government on pending electoral reform proposals, requests for expedited action
- Pending poll reform proposals include linking Aadhaar to clean up voter list
- Longer jail term for candidates giving wrong information in their affidavit
US task force to tackle supply chain bottlenecks
The Joe Biden administration has completed a 100-day review of supply chains and will form a task force to address the bottlenecks in the semiconductor, construction, transportation and agriculture sectors.
Motilal Oswal Financial Services on India’s e-grocery space
- Multiple platforms are disrupting the grocery space with innovative models.
- E-grocery space to possibly grow at over 59 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) and reach Rs 1.31 lakh crore by 2024.
- India has 15.4 crore online transacting households with 13 crore already using e-grocery platforms or willing to try, creating an addressable market of Rs 21.33 lakh crore.
- 55 percent of addressable market lies beyond tier two cities.
- Big Basket and Grofers witnessed a 4x and 3x surge in daily orders during lockdowns with a steady rise in average order value.
- The grocery market has been historically dogged down by wafer thin (15 to 20 percent) gross margins, higher (20 to 25 percent) logistics cost and complex inventory management, making it difficult to achieve sustainable profits and compete with traditional retail and distribution channel which operates on 15 percent cumulative margin.
- Kerala Government includes ‘practicing lawyers & lawyer clerks’ in priority group for COVID-19 vaccination.
- This is applicable for the age group of 18- 45 years.
- The state also issued guidance in vaccinating all bedridden patients and senior citizens, who can’t move out of home due to illness/disability, at their residence itself.
On a high
Airbus delivered 50 airplanes in May, bringing its total so far this year to 220 jets, up 38% from the same period last year.
Swabs of 28 captive elephants at Mudumalai Tiger Reserve have been taken for testing, days after a lioness succumbed to COVID-19 and nine others in the pride tested positive for the infection at a zoo in Chennai.
S Jaishankar to begin his three-day Kuwait visit tomorrow
- He is set to visit Kuwait from June 9 to 11, his first trip to the country as the union minister.
- He is taking this trip at the invitation of Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammad Al-Sabah, Foreign Minister and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs, Kuwait.During the visit, he will hold high-level meetings and also address the Indian community in Kuwait.
- Jaishankar will also carry a personal letter from Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the Amir of Kuwait.